Botanically, quinoa is a seed (not a grain) and as many still don’t know it doesn’t actually need to be boiled! Quinoa is considered a superfood, because it is a “complete protein” and “gluten-free”.
- 1/2 tablespoon red quinoa
- 5 shelled pistachios (raw or salted, either will work), chopped
- 5 almonds, chopped
- 6 ounces (170g) whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- Pinch of freshly grated lemon zest
- Flaky sea salt or other coarse salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons best-quality olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175ºC).
- Pour the quinoa into a small sauté pan and place over medium heat. Toast the quinoa for about 2 minutes – it will begin popping when it’s toasted, and as soon as it does, pour it into a bowl to cool. Spread the pistachios and almonds in a small baking dish and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes, until they smell nutty and are starting to turn golden. Remove and let cool.
- Spread the yogurt on a small plate or shallow bowl. Sprinkle on the quinoa, pistachios, almonds, and dates. Fleck with lemon zest and sea salt, and finish with a sprinkling of olive oil.
Benjamin Bland loves seeing mummy eating this healthy breakfast too 😉